Zippers and Pockets!
4 hour workshop with designer Kate Oates
Saturday March 23 2024 3PM-7PM
$125 (includes Knitpicker Tool, Zipper, and Class Workbook)
You can be the master of your own knitting after this class! Kate Oates has combined her 2 most popular classes into a masterclass on Seamless Zipper Installation and Pockets Plus: Adding pockets to any design.
Conquer your zipper fears! You don't need a sewing machine or even a needle & thread to install a zipper in your handknits. This technique turns your zipper into a knittable object for a stunning and impeccable finish. For this course, bring either a finished handknit or the homework swatches to practice the technique. This is a hands on course that goes from working out the math (just a wee bit!) to determine how many stitches you will need to pick up to actually installing a zipper onto a garment or swatch.
Pockets are such a delightful addition to a sweater! In this course you will learn how to add pockets to an existing design, whether it is top-down or bottom-up. We will go through each style one at a time, outlining the set-up, how to work the piece, and any required finishing. Instructions for four different pocket styles will be taught along with considerations including placement, size, dimensions & proportions to garment.
● Cast on
● Knitting & purling
● Basic increasing & decreasing
● This course is suitable for adventurous
beginning knitters ready to play around with pattern instructions
● Knitpicker Tool & Zipper, illustrated worksheet with
● If installing a zipper onto a finished project, please bring your appropriate zipper and the project
● Scraps of yarn used in your project or swatches; if your finished project is bulky or heavier, bring a
coordinating yarn in worsted weight (or lighter)
● Circular needles in suggested size for buttonband + 2 spare circular needles that are either the same
size or within two sizes smaller.
○ Example: Project needles are Size 7 (4.5 mm); appropriate spare circular needles should be
Size 5, 6, or 7.
● Knitters tools: scissors, darning needle, measuring tape, stitch markers
● Pencil & scrap paper
● Basic calculator (or your smart phone)
● Working Swatches for pockets (see Homework)
Knitter’s who will be practicing these techniques and not installing a zipper onto a finished project will knit 2 swatches prior to class. Swatching instructions for pockets and zippers will be provided in the PDF for distribution.
Knitters should bring a pattern of their choice (from any designer!)
that they would like to add pockets–planning your pockets ahead of
time gives you all the options! Finished sweaters or WIPs are also welcome. Don’t know where to start? Check out Gramps Cardigan, Sunday Crew (wouldn’t a kangaroo pocket and even a hood make this sweater even more cozy?) or Flutter. Knitting for a child? Might we suggest Ryan Cardigan, which is friendly to side pocket styles or Diplodocus for a kangaroo style pocket.
All yarn must be purchased at Do Ewe Knit.
NO REFUNDS NO EXCEPTIONS